July 8, 2011
Unsure how to handle the patriotic fervor sweeping the country, the Vietnamese communist regime has mobilized state media and the Foreign Ministry spokesperson to misrepresent the anti-China protests taking place.
In our view, the leadership of the Vietnamese Communist Party and State has:
1. Failed to protect the country’s sovereignty against Chinese encroachment both currently and in the past. This is the result of a policy regarding Beijing as a so-called "big brother and comrade."
2. Undermined national solidarity through repressing patriotic voices speaking out on behalf of the sovereignty of the fatherland.
3. Disregarded the sincere patriotism among the people by claiming that the anti-China protests are instigated by "subversive" elements.
With the grave external threat facing Vietnam today:
1. Viet Tan affirms that Vietnam’s territorial sovereignty is inviolable and includes the Paracel and Spratly Islands. China’s violations of Vietnam’s sovereignty in the East Sea; intimidation and sabotage of businesses; harassment and harm against fishermen are in direct violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
2. Viet Tan affirms that only an end to the dictatorship, fostering of democracy, respect for human rights and immediate efforts to reform Vietnam will effectively safeguard the nation. For national solidarity to flourish, the Vietnamese communist authorities must release without delay democracy activists currently in jail and return to citizens the right to participate in national affairs.
3. Viet Tan affirms that the East Sea issue must be internationalized and resolved through multilateral negotiations. All schemes to pursue a bilateral accommodation with China are detrimental to the interests of the Vietnamese people.
4. Viet Tan resolves to lobby international public opinion, democratic governments and international institutions to condemn China’s encroachment on Vietnam. Viet Tan will continue to mobilize the Vietnamese people and work with organizations and parties inside and outside Vietnam to maintain the nation’s territorial sovereignty.
Safeguarding national interests is the right of all Vietnamese, rising above all ideologies and political parties. No authority can stop the people of Vietnam from defending the territorial integrity of the nation.
Duy Hoang : +1.202.470.0845